How to frame your art prints like a pro
Framing your art prints is an essential step in showcasing them in your home or office. A beautifully framed print not only enhances the visual appeal of the artwork but also preserves it for years to come. If you're looking to frame your art prints like a pro, here are some tips and steps to follow:
1. Choose the right frame
Choosing the right frame for your art print is crucial as it can either enhance or detract from the artwork. Consider the style of your print and choose a frame that complements it. For example, a minimalist print looks great in a sleek, black frame, while a vintage print may look better in a rustic frame with a distressed finish. You should also consider the colour and material of the frame and ensure it matches your decor.
2. Select the right mat board
A mat board is the cardboard or paper material placed between the print and the frame. It serves to provide separation between the artwork and the glass, protecting the print from damage. Choose a mat board that complements the artwork and frame and is acid-free to prevent discolouration over time.
3. Use archival mounting tape
Archival mounting tape is used to secure the print to the mat board without causing any damage. It's acid-free and doesn't leave any residue, ensuring your print is protected and preserved.
4. Choose the right protective material
There are various types of protective materials available for framing, such as regular glass, UV-protected glass, and perspex. If you're looking for a lightweight and shatter-resistant alternative to glass, perspex is a great option. It offers the same level of protection against UV rays and glare as glass, but is much less likely to break. It's also easy to clean and maintain, making it ideal for high-traffic areas.
5. Assemble your materials and get to workNow that you know what materials you need, it's time to start framing. Here's a list of what you'll need:
- Mat board
- Archival mounting tape
Here are the steps to follow:
- Clean your hands and the work area to prevent any smudges or fingerprints on the glass or print.
- Cut the mat board to the appropriate size, leaving a border around the print.
- Attach the print to the mat board using archival mounting tape.
- Place the mat board with the print into the frame, ensuring it's centred.
- Place the glass on top of the mat board and secure it in place with the frame's backing.
- Hang your new framed art print and enjoy! 😊
Framing your art prints like a pro requires attention to detail and the use of high-quality materials. By following these tips and steps, you can ensure your prints are protected and displayed in a way that enhances their visual appeal. Remember to choose the right frame, mat board, glass, and mounting tape and enjoy the process of creating a beautiful display for your art prints.